woensdag 1 juli 2015

Book Excerpt from Gifted

 

Book Excerpt

We stepped outside to make our way to another part of the building, and I was just about to tell Theo how incredible it would be if Baleigh’s mum could teach me how to control my gift before I heard:
“Theo!”
“Lucas!” Theo said before they stopped to give each other a hug. Theo and this guy were obviously close, best friends probably.
“Who’s the pretty lady?” Lucas asked, as he looked in my direction.
I almost turned to look behind me to see who Lucas was talking about, but I soon clocked onto the fact that there was nothing behind Theo and I but a white stone wall, so he must have been talking to me.
I blushed shamelessly.
Lucas was very handsome; he was tall, had ash brown hair, and pink lips; his eyes were hidden behind black ray-ban sunglasses but I guessed they were either blue or green or a mix of both. Like Theo, he had an infectious smile and strong jawline, and he was dressed similar to Baleigh had been, minus the skinny jeans; he wore multiple leather rope bracelets on his wrists, one of which – a fire red one – caught my eye, and he wore a plain silver thumb ring. He had a very effortless look about him.
“This is Ava, the girl I told you about,” Theo answered, gesturing to me for the second time today.
“Nice to meet you, Avs!” Lucas leaned in and gave me a bear hug. “You smell good,” he casually commented and Theo rolled his eyes as I blushed again.
“Now, you two haven’t seen Bales by any chance? I think she’s hiding from me,” Lucas said. He had a masculine but playful voice, like he was incapable of saying anything hurtful or offensive.
“When are you going to give up on Bales?” Theo smiled. “She’ll chew you up and then happily spit you back out.”
That I could believe. But wait, this meant Baleigh couldn’t be Theo’s ex, not if his best friend was happily going after her. Or maybe that was why Baleigh was such a sore topic for Theo… my head began to ache dully.
Lucas placed his hands theatrically on his heart and looked towards the sky behind Theo and I. “She’s the only one for me,” he said seriously before laughing.
“And what happened to Anna?” Theo asked him.
“Well, you know how things go…” Lucas replied, as he randomly scratched his right ear and avoided eye contact. “She just wasn’t for me.”
“Oh, that is such a shame,” Theo said, pretending to take Lucas seriously.
“Was that the same for Lily, Kyra, Erin, Mia, Tanya, Stacey –?”
“Okay! Okay!” Lucas smiled, holding up his hands in surrender. “I get your point! But seriously, where’d she go? Oh wait,” he turned to me, “you’re the psychic, so you tell me.”
I opened my mouth then closed it and repeated this pattern, caught in blindingly bright headlights as I tried fruitlessly to grapple for something to say.
Lucas’ smile widened. “You were right Theo, she is easy.”
I’m sure he meant I was easy to play with as Theo had once told me, but I’m also pretty sure Lucas had winked at me from behind his sunglasses too.

About the Book

Title: Gifted: The Hayven Series
Author: J.A. George
Genre: YA Romance / Fantasy / Dystopian
“Why do birds fly? Why do lions hunt deer? Why does the sun shine and the moon glow? Because it must. I wish I could tell you why, I truly do. It mustn’t be easy, such pressure weighted on such young shoulders, but we do not always choose the lives we must lead.”
Avery Gray had no choice but to be different. She was not born that way; she was chosen.
After having met a special, silver-haired woman, and the handsome and enigmatic Theodore-James Connors, Ava finds herself in Hayven, a city separated from the rest of the world, where only gifters – ordinary people with extra-ordinary gifts – can go. With Theo, his friends, Hayven, her gift, and the ability to ‘travel’ in different colours, Ava must now accept that she can no longer classify herself as normal. As friendships develop, and Theo and Ava become closer than she anticipated, it turns out her new gifted life comes with a catch. With no choice or say on the matter, Ava must save a city she is starting to fall in love with; a city that has almost begun to feel like home.

Author Bio

J.A. George is the author of the four-part series, GIFTED: THE HAYVEN SERIES. Jessica spent years of her life reading book after book before sitting on her bed one morning, opening her laptop and typing Chapter One into her word document. Now, not only does she read book after book, she now writes book after book too. When she’s not writing, she’s trying to break her record of finishing a tub of Oreo ice cream in less than forty-five minutes.
You can contact her at Jess.george@hotmail.co.uk

Links

Amazon: Amazon
Goodreads: Goodreads

0 reacties:

Een reactie posten