vrijdag 29 augustus 2014

Book Excerpt from She Who Fights Monsters

 

About the Book

Title: She Who Fights Monsters
Author: Kyoko M.
Genre: Urban Fantasy / Paranormal Romance
Jordan Amador. 23. New Yorker. Waitress. Investigator for souls with unfinished business, also known as a Seer.
Michael O’Brien. 25. New Yorker. Lead guitarist. Commander of Heaven’s Army.
The dynamic supernatural duo is in the middle of trying to solve a deadly case. Someone is methodically hunting down and murdering Seers one by one. After six months with no leads on the killer, Jordan and Michael are forced to work with their worst enemy—the archdemon Belial: a self-professed Prince of Hell who is dead set on stealing Jordan for himself. However, with the archdemon’s help, they pick up on the trail of the serial killer and plan to stop him no matter what the cost.
When the shocking truth behind the murderer’s identity is revealed, Jordan begins asking herself if she is still fighting for the good guys or has she become one of the monsters she is desperately trying to stop?

Author Bio

Kyoko M is an author, a fangirl, and an avid book reader. Her debut novel, The Black Parade, has been on Amazon’s Bestseller List at #5 in the Occult Horror category. She has a Bachelor of Arts in English Lit degree from the University of Georgia, which gave her every valid excuse to devour book after book with a concentration in Greek mythology and Christian mythology. When not working feverishly on a manuscript (or two), she can be found buried under her Dashboard on Tumblr, or chatting with fellow nerds on Twitter, or curled up with a good Harry Dresden novel on a warm central Florida night. Like any author, she wants nothing more than to contribute something great to the best profession in the world, no matter how small.
The Black Parade, the first novel in the series, is free from August 22nd, the starter date of the tour.

Links


Book Excerpt

 

“Well, well, well. Jordan Amador. I never expected to see you darkening my doorstep.”
I squared my shoulders and turned, intent on being firm and cold with him, but then my eyes fell across his bare chest and words died in my throat.
I hadn’t seen the result of the angel feather I’d once plunged into Belial’s chest until now. It was ghastly. The skin over his heart rippled with brown burn marks and nearly bisected his abs, starting at the shoulder and dripping down to his bellybutton. It looked almost shiny in the dim light, meaning that his human body had tried its best to heal the damage but probably never would.
Belial caught my gaze, flashing me a brief smirk. “Admiring your handiwork, I see?”
“That’s not—”
“You don’t have to make excuses. You should be proud. No one’s ever managed to mark up one of my human bodies to quite this extent.” He walked over to his desk where a fresh towel had been laid. He began drying off the sweat and blood from his upper body, which was mildly distracting for reasons I didn’t want to admit to myself and probably never would.
I crossed my arms beneath my chest, making sure to keep my voice level so that Gabriel and Michael could hear our conversation. “Why don’t you just get another one?”
“For the same reason you still have your scar. A memento, as it were.”
I frowned. “It’s not the same thing. I keep this to remind myself how dangerous and evil your kind is. You keep yours because you’re vain.”
He chuckled—a dry sound that made the skin along my spine prickle. “Perhaps.”
Now blood-free, he tossed the towel aside and walked towards me. I dropped my arms as adrenaline pumped through my veins in an instant, preparing me for a fight. He couldn’t touch me because my soul was bound to Michael’s, making me too pure for any demon to withstand bare contact, but it didn’t mean he wasn’t going to try to make a pass at me anyway.
I made a small sound of alarm when my back hit the door, not noticing that I’d retreated so far. Belial stopped mere inches from in front of me, placing one hand on the door to trap me against it. I wished very badly for my gun because I had almost forgotten his annoying habit of invading my personal space.
“To what do I owe the tremendous honor of your presence?” Belial asked, rooting me in the spot with his reptilian gaze. “Did you miss me? Is your sex life with the angel less than satisfactory?”
I glared up at him. “Even if it was, I doubt I’d be coming to you.”
He let out a short bark of laughter, startling me again. “So you say. But here it is, a year later, and you’re once again in my presence. Admit it, Seer. You need me.”
“Go to hell,” I spat.
He flashed me that poisonous smile again. “A little late for that. Now why don’t you tell me what brings you and your little angel brigade to my doorstep?”



 

0 reacties:

Een reactie posten