zaterdag 1 november 2014

Book Excerpt Winterkill





The smell of acrid dust roused me from a deep sleep. I blearily looked out my bedroom window at great clouds of dirt rolling across the backyard. Men’s voices, the sounds of animals moving and creaking leather filled the air. I slammed the window shut, hurriedly pulling on jeans and a tee. I grabbed my camera on the way out the back door.
I stood about a yard from the fence fiddling with the aperture control. I shot bracketed exposures in a rapid sequence of lumbering buffalo, shaking their massive heads. The earth shuddered with their passing. I attached the flash, squatting to shoot a rapid series of hooves. Dust sifted onto the lens from their hooves kicking up the loose dirt.
A rider broke away from the group of men. Jake pulled his horse to a stop opposite the fence from me. “A couple of strings of barbed wire won’t slow a buffalo charge, much less stop him.” He soothed the skittish black gelding. “Sawyer! Turn the flash off. You could spook the herd.” Chet ran out of the dust thumping his tail in recognition.
Chet looked friendlier than Jake. I stood up. “Sorry, I didn’t think. Got carried away.”
He eased back in the saddle. “You need to be careful near the fence line.” A ghost of smile flitted across his face. “You settled in over there?”
“Yeah, just about. Thanks.”
His smile reached his eyes. “Maybe you’d like to see the herd when we get them down in their new pasture. Until then, if you need anything, I’m one mailbox down the road from you. Come on Chet. You’ve got work to do.” He turned the horse to join his men.
I replied to his back. “Thanks. Count on it.” He lifted his hand in a silent wave, disappearing into the herd. 


About Winterkill

Title: Winterkill
Author: P.H. Turner
Genre: Romantic Suspense
A beautiful reporter and a charming rancher are caught in a web of mayhem, murder…and lust.
Reporter Sawyer Cahill returns home to Cheyenne, Wyoming to report for the local station. But leaving behind the coverage of the gangland murders of San Antonio only lands her smack in the middle of the ritualistic animal mutilations. Harassed and threatened by the  freak behind the bizarre murders, Sawyer plunges into her investigation, reaping the attentions of two local ranchers.
Local rancher, Jake Spooner, tangles with a tug of war relationship with Sawyer. Tormented between his smoldering desire for Sawyer and his wish to keep her safe, their passion flames in a mountain snow storm.

Author Bio

Teaching and shooting news and documentaries took me to work on the East and West coasts, the Midwest and an island in the Gulf of Mexico. Born a fourth generation Texan, I live in Austin with an energetic mutt that waits patiently every day for me to come home and work on my second novel.

Links

Giveaway

There’s a tour-wide giveaway for two $10 Amazon gift cards. 



0 reacties:

Een reactie posten