maandag 15 december 2014

Book Excerpt from Accessories & Alibis

 

Book Excerpt

“What’s happening, Presley?” Katy whispered from behind me.
“One of our sales girls is getting arrested I think,” I said more calmly than I felt, trying to take in the situation and sarcastically thinking what a wonderful start to my new venture this was.  It all felt surreal.
“I can see that. You know what I mean.”
“Are you wondering how I could get so damn lucky to be given this wonderful opportunity that on my very first day of business ownership I’m faced with the police coming in and arresting one of my employees?”  My voice rising against my will.  I didn’t want to add to the spectacle.
“Yeah, that’s exactly what I was thinking,” she whispered, ignoring my tone. “Being around you is never boring.”
“What are you doing?” Roxanne’s voice broke into my thoughts as the policeman pulled out his handcuffs and asked her to put her hands behind her back.
“Ma’am, calm down. You are under arrest for the murder of Drew Conner. You have the right to remain silent…”
The cop continued, and I turned to Katy and said, “Murder? This is happening?”  I had just assumed she had some less nefarious infraction, such as an unpaid parking ticket or Jay walking or even writing a bad check.  Something like that. A crime, but not a major crime.
Two of the three cops started to lead Roxanne out. “Presley, I’m innocent. I swear! I’m being framed!” she cried as they took her out the door to the waiting squad car I could see outside. The cop who had initially spoken walked back over to us.
“Are you her manager?” he asked.
“You could say that I guess. I own the place.”
“You guess?” his eyebrows lifted questioningly, giving me that look that made me question everything coming out of my mouth for fear it would be taken wrong.
“I own this place as of about an hour ago and arrived minutes before you did,” I explained.
He chuckled though I saw nothing funny about this situation. “Sorry. What a rough first day,” he said, and it seemed like he meant it though I still didn’t find the situation funny.
“You can say that again. So Roxanne murdered someone?”
“Allegedly,” he corrected me. “I am going to need to ask your staff some questions if you don’t mind.”
Even if I did, I doubted there was much I could do about it. I presumed this was a rhetorical question and to not comply would be obstructing justice or some such thing, and I did have a healthy respect for the police. Besides, the minute the cops walked in, the customers shopping had walked out, and the two other staff members were just staring at us dumbfounded so it’s not like they were going to get anything else done.

 

About The Book

Title: Accessories & Alibis
Author: Laina Turner
Genre: Cozy Mystery / Chick Lit
In the 10th book of the chick lit series, Presley buys failing retail boutique, Silk, and on the first day of business ownership the store manager Roxanne is arrested for murdering her boyfriend. Roxanne insists she’s innocent and asks for Presley’s help.
Presley believes her and tries to help while getting the boutique up and running just to find out someone has been paying themselves from company funds? Who is stealing from Silk and is there more to Rod and Roxanne’s relationship than meets the eye?

Author Bio

As a child Laina thought she would either be a truck driver (thanks to Jerry Reed in Smokey and the Bandit) or work at Taco Bell (her favorite restaurant as a child). As she grew older she realized her talents lay in academics and business and for the last several years has been a business consultant and college professor where she uses the analytical side of her brain and not the side that makes up stories.
Through all her career choices she has continued to have a passion for writing. This stemmed from childhood whereas an only child she developed a vivid imagination spending most of her time making things up and thinking the Incredible Hulk lived in her closet.
Proud of her vast experiences in life from barrel racing to being on the dance team for a semi pro basketball team to being a mom of 2 amazing kids, she tells her family and friends that no one is safe from their escapades slipping in to her books.
Taking the plunge to write books that she actually lets people read in 2010, she has worked her way up to having 5 fans (maybe 6 now). Her blog, The Art Of Living Fabulously, was launched to share the daily fun in the life of a Real Housewife of the Midwest along with the musing of other fabulous ladies.

Links

Purchase Accessories & Alibis on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJAKT8Q

0 reacties:

Een reactie posten