woensdag 19 oktober 2016

Book Excerpt On The Run

Book Excerpt

Everything went smoothly. Yes, the whole plan was sound, and the weeks of preparations paid off. There I went, from office to office, from delivery to delivery, in and out in forty-five minutes. I could pass receptionists and secretaries without problems. No questions, no suspicions.
“Larry is waiting for you....” “Mr. Silverstein will see you soon....” “Please take a seat. Mr. Roberts is on a phone call right now, could take a few minutes....” “Jim is finishing a meeting, said you should wait in his office....”
The clients were all nice. No wonder. I was like Santa Claus bringing them Christmas presents. More than half bought two packages; one even bought three; a lot of unexpected extra revenue. I sold forty-five packages of cocaine that week. Adding the three packages that I had sold to Joe and Peter, the total for December was forty-eight. My income was twelve thousand dollars. It really felt like Christmas.
After one of my deliveries, right after the secretary and I had made the next appointment and I was about to leave, she told me, “You must be very good at your work. Bill sounded so different on the phone right now!
Before you came, he was very anxious and bitchy. Now he sounded like another guy. He hasn’t been this happy and relaxed in days. What did you do to him?”
I couldn’t say that her boss had no more cocaine left when I came, and that was why he was in such a bad mood. He had done a line in front of me. When I left, he was high and happy.
I winked and said, “Coaching works! Happy Christmas!”

About the Book

Izai_Amorim-On_The–Run-COVER-2016_02_11.inddTitle: On The Run
Author: Izai Amorim
Genre: Literary Fiction
New York City, early 1990s: a young, rich, and well-educated Central American man on the run from the police and Colombian drug dealers. He is accused of crimes he didn’t commit. Ready to do what it takes to survive, Pablo ironically embraces the very drug trade that threatened his life in the first place. Who is he?
What is he really capable of? The question of identity is at the heart of On The Run. More than a
contemporary story of survival, it’s a journey of self-discovery.
Pablo’s voice is funny, sometimes mean and merciless. He moves with nightmarish ease from recounting his adventures to recollecting his early life. Not always politically correct, On The Run gives you an insightful, twisted, humorous, and often disturbing view of conflicting worlds and beliefs: North and Latin America; black, brown, and white; rich and poor; rational and esoteric—and shows how they mix, match, and clash.

Author Bio

“Make me think, make me laugh, make my day!”
That’s why Izai Amorim reads and writes books. He has great interest in the interplay of media, information, and politics in a globalized world and the quest for identity and borders in a worldwide cultural melting pot.
Izai was born and raised in Brazil but spent most of his adult life abroad, briefly in the USA, mostly in
Germany. He was trained as an architect and worked many years in this profession. But his real passion is story telling. At some point in his life he decided to mix storytelling with architecture, changed professions, and became a branding consultant, something that he loves and has been doing to this day.
His first novel, The Games (2013), is a humorous but dark, even mean, political thriller. This mother of all conspiracies shows how information is processed to create and spread the stories needed to establish power structures not accountable to anyone.

Links

My personal site: http://www.izaiamorim.com/

0 reacties:

Een reactie posten