donderdag 8 december 2016

Book Excerpt The Travelers

Book Excerpt



The night watchman’s footfalls echoed close behind. Jason shot me an anxious glance as we rounded another corner. I spotted the outline of a rectangle in the blackness.

“Door,” I whispered.

The silver handle glowed like a beacon. We rushed into the room, slammed the door behind us and threw our weight against it.

Seconds later, the watchman banged loudly against the door. He yanked down the handle and thrust it forward. The door opened a crack. Jason and I slammed it shut again.

“Can we lock it?” I asked.

“No,” he barked, staring at the lockless door.

Pressing my back against the door, I took stock of our options. Long metal tables held a few freshly dead bodies under the cover of crisp white sheets. The outlines of the corpses bobbed up and down like a skyline of rolling, snow-covered hills. At the other end of the room I spied our only means of escape: another door.

“You hold the door while I hide on one of the empty tables,” I directed. “Then you go for that door. He’ll follow you. I’ll creep out after he’s gone.”

“That is a negative.”

“You can outrun him. I can’t,” I explained.

Jason didn’t move. He was not convinced.

“You have a better idea?” I challenged.

“Can you use…?”

Suddenly, the night watchman shoved the door open again cutting Jason’s question short. Jason flung his body back against it and closed it with a loud grunt.

“Don’t you think I would have if I could?” I snapped.

I was alert. But my body was not yet fully connected to my mind or my powers. If we had been completely healed, we would’ve had no trouble escaping.

“Me either,” he sighed, then offered a begrudging, “Go.”

I leaped onto one of the tables and pulled the sheet over myself. Once covered, I heard Jason move an object in front of the door.

The night watchman yelled and pounded as he tried to force the door open.

“Open this door. I’m calling the police. Is this a joke?” he threatened.

I wish.

Jason slipped through the back door just as the barricade screeched across the floor.

The success of my plan hinged on the night watchman spying Jason’s exit and following him. I held my breath and waited to find out if my plan worked.

The sound of his sneakers shuffling around the room answered my question and sent my heart beating like a war drum. The watchman did not follow Jason. Instead, he was examining the bodies on the tables.

Before I knew it, it was my turn.



About the Book


travelers-cover-finalTitle: The Travelers

Author: K.L. Kranes

Genre: YA Fantasy

Dagny lives a dangerous life. Pursued by an unknown enemy, Dagny and her family are always on the run and must use magic to stay hidden and safe. When Dagny meets Marc, everything changes. For the first time, she can imagine a future that doesn’t involve constantly changing her life. Despite the risk, Dagny vows to stop running. But as their enemies start closing in, Dagny wonders if she can ever really live a normal life and if she can actually trust Marc.



Author Bio


klkranes-pictureK.L. Kranes, author of The Travelers, lives in the Washington, DC metro area with her husband and daughter. She graduated from Virginia Tech with a degree in Communications. K.L. moved to New York City after college and worked in public relations before returning to her true passions of writing and editing. When not working on her next YA novel or blogging, she works as a freelance writer and editor. In her spare time, she enjoys hanging out with her family and trying out new potential hobbies. Her latest endeavors include driving her dog crazy as she learns the guitar and making a fool of herself as a novice swing dancer. For more information on K. L. check out her website www.klkranes.com or www.thetravelersbook.com.

Links





Twitter @klkranes

Facebook @klkranes

Instagram @klkranes

0 reacties:

Een reactie posten