vrijdag 26 juli 2013

Book Review A Discovery of Witches

Title: A Discovery of Witches
Author: Deborah Harkness
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Rating: 6/10

A richly inventive novel about a centuries-old vampire, a spellbound witch, and the mysterious manuscript that draws them together.

Deep in the stacks of Oxford's Bodleian Library, young scholar Diana Bishop unwittingly calls up a bewitched alchemical manuscript in the course of her research. Descended from an old and distinguished line of witches, Diana wants nothing to do with sorcery; so after a furtive glance and a few notes, she banishes the book to the stacks. But her discovery sets a fantastical underworld stirring, and a horde of daemons, witches, and vampires soon descends upon the library. Diana has stumbled upon a coveted treasure lost for centuries-and she is the only creature who can break its spell.

Debut novelist Deborah Harkness has crafted a mesmerizing and addictive read, equal parts history and magic, romance and suspense. Diana is a bold heroine who meets her equal in vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont, and gradually warms up to him as their alliance deepens into an intimacy that violates age-old taboos. This smart, sophisticated story harks back to the novels of Anne Rice, but it is as contemporary and sensual as the Twilight series-with an extra serving of historical realism.

First and foremost, the best character in the book is the Bishop house. That small plot line was done so well, I found myself wishing my house was like the Bishop house.

Ok so, I enjoyed parts of this book. I'd say about 60% of the book is really entertaining. The other 40% is pure fluff, which I usually enjoy, but, this time, it didn't feel true to the characters. The main character went from an intelligent, independent college professor to love-sick, damsel-in-distress teenager really quickly. Aside from that, she was likable and her love interest was also sort of likable even though he sometimes acted like a teenager with raging emotions. The book slows down after the first 2/3rds but I enjoyed the last third the most. I loved Sarah and Em, some of the best dialogue involved them. I found all the history/alchemy references incredibly fascinating. The addition of all of those were one of the main things that made the book enjoyable. I'm looking forward to the sequel because the ending of the book makes reading the sequel kind of necessary.

0 reacties:

Een reactie plaatsen