maandag 7 april 2014

Guest Post Edge of Civilization Tour


We're hosting a verse today for the book tour for literary fiction "Edge of Civilization".

Here is the verse:



“I left her there among the stars
She’s waiting for my return
With patience that chills her yearn
For a man whose lost his way
On Earth’s dusty haze

I left her there supported by the stars
They huddle to her aid
When her mind often weighed
With thoughts of my demise
Through many suffocated cries.

I left her there surrounded by the stars
It was for her own protection
But walking alone I felt her connection
I know my heart she cannot replace
And the love she has for my race.”

“Soggy drawers, stinky feet.”
 “only squiggly crickets for me to eat.
Oh, dear God, how did I ever deserve this fate
With grey-bearded monkeys to take on dates.”
 “I guess I sit below the rambutan
And wait for the Vietcong.”

“In the darkness, I have no fright
I sit still, so no one can see me.
I stop breathing, so no one can hear me.
I close my mind, so no one can read me.
I am non-existent with no memories.
In the darkness, I am safe.”

“Littered and disfigured by the heat
Trampled down by uncaring feet
Boys and girls left out to die
By a swarm of large insects in the sky.
How unfortunate I am to wander
Through the bodies that lay asunder
Is this the punishment for what I’ve done
Horrendous deeds civilian man will shun.”

“The stars are shining bright above the Acacia tree,
Filtering light through the branches as messages for me,
If only I can decode its secrets for me and humanity.
What a sorry lot we are, desperate for a little score,
We’d give ourselves up, even those we must adore,
To wrap a bandage around our heart’s open sore.
The stars are shining bright above the Acacia tree,
Strands of light illuminate a space for me to see
The entire universe’s grandeur in store for me.”

The land is a mystery to me,
Its people even to a greater degree,
So peaceful they bow, so stern they confound.
The land is a mystery to me,
Folklore weaves its stories
From mystic scenery to concrete compounds.
This land holds a mystery to me,
Holding the key to my destiny,
To wherever this train is bound.”

“Names etched on marble
What’s it all for?
What’s the memory of a name
When the identity is not plain.
Without the name to the face
Another man can easily replace.
What’s with these names
And what is to be gained?
Names etched on marble
Who is it for?
The names immortalized before
Of the guilt of those who endured.
The damage has been done
Lies left only to be sung.”

 





 

Title: Edge of Civilization
Author: Jennifer Ott
Genre: Literary Fiction
Earl Hollsopple lived on the edge of civilization in a deserted shack for nearly forty years. His life was one beautiful night of stargazing after another, until a helicopter flies overhead, and exposed his meager world. It is a sign; it is time for him to return to civilization.

Unknowingly, Earl’s journey parallels another he had deeply repressed, and that is his return from the Vietnam War. The lone survivor of a plane crash, Earl waits for rescue that never comes. He is left to find his way home alone.

On his quests, old Earl and young Earl learn lessons of survival, overcoming isolation and handling conflicts; his travels teach him not just about himself, but humankind.  Reaching pivotal points in both journeys, Earl meets fateful loves, leading to destinies that are ultimately intertwined.

Everything in life circles until we are able to answer the riddles that plaque man and humanity. Only until we take the journey, solve the problems of our own existence, do we find our way home.

Author Bio


Inspiration comes from watching way too much Monty Python. The abstract and the absurd way of looking at normal life, not only offers humor, but questions many problems in society in a light-hearted manner. If we can laugh at ourselves, if we can laugh at life, problems do not seem quite so difficult to tackle.  In fact, problems are not as complicated as they seem; everything is very simple. If you can laugh at it, write about it and read about it, most likely one would think about it.
Author Jennifer Ott has written several satire fiction, Wild Horses, The Tourist and two non-fiction books Love and Handicapping and Ooh Baby Compound Me! She recently published, Serenidipidus and Edge of Civilization. She also is the host of the SuperJenius Internet Radio show on Artist First radio Network.
Jennifer Ott lives in Long Beach, California, enjoys the sun, the sand, the surf and lots of Mexican food.
Links





0 reacties:

Een reactie posten